When you connect to a router, it will use the DHCP server to assign a IP address to each connected device. The server DHCP it is located in the routers and is responsible for generating the IP address automatically. This server generates data to establish a connection to the network and to connect to the Internet.
What is an IP address?
An IP address is that set of numbers responsible for logical identification of the network interface. Chances are you don't know what the IP address assigned to your computer is, but don't worry, in this article we will tell you how find out that IP address and what to do to change it.
How to find out what is the IP of my Windows 10 PC?
Maybe at some point you need to know what IP address they have assigned to you, if you need to open ports or change some services.
The simplest way to view the IP address is to open a window MS-DOS.
What is an MS-DOS window?
MS-DOS is the acronym for Microsoft Disk Operating System, in Spanish Microsoft operating system. This is the main computer system.
How to open an MS-DOS window?
open an MS-DOS window you will need to follow the following steps:
- You have to open the application "Cortana".
- When you are inside the application you will have to type "Cdm".
- So you will have to write «ipconfig».
After performing all the above steps, a list with the IP addresses of each of the network cards connected to your computer.
Maybe this address will change one day, since we received it from server DHCP and if you have opened doors they will be closed. To prevent this from happening, you will need to manually configure the computer's IP.
How to change the IP address in Windows 10?
If you want configuration the IP on your computer, you need to follow the following steps:
- The first step will be to open the "Network and sharing center". This can be found in Cortana or by clicking on the network icon.
- Once there, you need to locate yours Internet connection. You'll likely only have one on an ethernet cable or over Wi-Fi.
- You will need to select it to bring up the connection properties window. Here you have to search and locate "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP / IPv4)".
- When you get "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP / IPv4)" click on the button "Property" and you will get a screen where you can configure the IP address.
- The system will originally be configured to automatically receive IP via the DHCP server and this will need to be manually edited.
- To change it manually, you need to select the option "Use the following IP address" and fill in the spaces with the desired data.
- Once you have filled in all the data, save your changes and click "Apply on computer" . The connection will be restarted and on reconnection the new configuration will be active.
That address with your computer will connect and you can open services and ports without the fear that constantly change.
It is important to take that into consideration the same IP address cannot be used on different devices because connectivity issues will arise.
In the menu "Network and sharing center" you will also be able to see the IP data. You just have to click on the «Details» button and all the information will appear.
Ports on the router
We mentioned the action of opening the doors and then we will explain what these doors are. It is understood that the router is a device that sends data between different networks to obtain one connection to the Internet.
when the give are sent from a local network to an external network, the router uses ports. Ports are responsible for organizing all information sent.
Why open the ports of a router?
In some cases there may be problems with configuration ports on a router, this could cause slow connection problems, as the computer will not clearly know which port to use to send information.
solve these types of problems, it is necessary to open the ports of the router to proceed with their correct configuration.TagsTutorial Internet