You wonder how to convert hard drive partition from MBR to GPT without losing data? So you need to read the following information where we will tell you about it.
Considerations before converting MBR to GPT
Do you know the differences between MBR and GPT partitions? When we talk about MBR and GPT, we are referring to partition tables, being MBR the most important to use for many years. In any case, in recent years, due to the increase in the size of unit di storage, it was necessary to implement a new technology, such as GPT.
GPT is much more functional, is capable of working with larger partitions and offers multiple advantages over MBR. In any case, if you have a hard drive with MBR partitions, you will need to convert them to GPT.
The conversion process is simple and there are multiple options with which to do it, even so, we highly recommend that you make a backup or backup of the hard drive we want to convert.
How to convert MBR hard drive partition to GPT without losing data?
Next, we will show you two methods by which you can convert easily a partition from MBR to GPT, read carefully.
MBR2GPT is a small program available within the Windows operating system, with which you can convert hard drives from MBR a GPT. This application does not have a graphical interface, so it works directly with the Windows command console or also called the cmd command prompt.
To use this conversion method, we recommend that you read the following guide where we will discuss the process step by step:
- Go to Windows startup, there you should look for "Cmd", Once cmd.exe appears on the screen, right-click on the program and then select the "Run as administrator" option.
- A window may appear on the screen in which you need to confirm the execution of the command console, just click «OK».
- Once the command console appears on the screen, you will need to type the following: mbr2gpt / convert / disk: disk number / allowfullOS. Remember to replace "Disk number" with the number assigned to your storage drive, this information can be viewed in the hard drives section of Windows.
- At the end of this procedure, the conversion of the MBR to GPT file should begin. When the process is complete, the file system of the selected drive should already have been successfully converted.
MiniTool Partition Wizard
MiniTool Partition Wizard is one of the best programs to partition hard drives with which you can keep control of our storage drives. Likewise, the application is fully functional to convert hard drives from the MBR format to GPT format.
To perform stationing using the application, the first thing to do is download the program from the partitionwizard website. Note that to use MBR to GPT conversion, you will need to create a bootable drive with the MiniTool Partition Wizard program, this feature is paid.
- Start the application, in the upper right part of the screen you should find the section Bootable Media, option with which you can create the boot drive for the software.
- When you click on this option, the system will ask you for the drive to create the boot system in, we recommend that you do this via a drive USB. If so, select that drive and wait until the process is finished.
- Restart your computer and boot from the USB drive you prepared in advance.
- The MiniTool Partition Wizard program and all storage drives on your computer should appear on the screen. Select the drive you want to convert MBR to GPT and right click on it, here you need to select the option «Converti disco MBR in disco GPT».
- The button will appear in the lower left part of the screen "Apply", click on it and then on the “Yes” option in the window that appears on the screen.
- Once the process is done, the system will show you a message on the screen, do it click on the option «OK» and you will have your system files in GPT.