Through the following guide we will teach you how to delete a WiFi network connection saved in Windows 10, 8 and 7 from CMD, something useful for clearing information from a specific network.
Note that this is not the same as connecting, disconnecting, or removing access to a WiFi network, but it can be very helpful to completely wipe a WiFi network from your system.
Delete a WiFi network connection saved in the conventional way
The deletion of a wireless connection it can come in handy if you want to create or configure your Wi-Fi network from scratch. Also, if you want to completely set up a network, take into consideration the places where a WiFi router should not be placed, to make the most of the connection.
The normal process for deleting or clearing a Wi-Fi network connection saved on your computer is very simple. In the case of Windows, you just have to go to the connections section which is located at the bottom and to the right of the bar of instruments.
Click on the Wi-Fi icon and locate the network you want to delete. Now right click on it and select the option "Stop remembering".
It's that simple, you will have successfully cleared your information and credentials to use this network. As we pointed out, make sure you've saved your password if you want to re-enter it.
Delete a saved Wi-Fi connection using CMD
To open the command console, press the key combination Windows + R. The "Run" program will appear, type in "CMD" and click OK.
Once you are inside the command console, you need to write the following code netsh wlan show profiles, after writing the code press Enter. This will show all wireless connections on the computer.
To permanently delete some of the wireless connections, type the following code netsh wlan delete profile «profile name». It is important to write the quotation marks («») and that the name of the network has been written as it appears, ie taking into account upper and lower case letters and symbols.
After typing the above code, hit the Enter key and the Wi-Fi has been successfully removed from your computer.
The above method is efficient in case you are having trouble removing a network in the conventional way. As you can see, it is a very simple method to apply and, in short, it is usually more efficient than the graphical interface.
View a saved Wi-Fi network password in Windows 10
If you want to see the network password instead, the procedure is different. This can be useful just in case you have forgotten the password for the connection. If you want to see the password of a network that you have saved on your computer, the first thing you need to do is connect to that network.
- Once connected to the network, go to the control panel and look for the "Networks and Internet" section. Here you can find the option "Change adapter settings".
- All the network adapters you have will be displayed, make sure you click on «Wi-Fi». In any case, you will recognize it because the name of the network to which it is connected appears below.
- Right-click on 'Wi-Fi' and select 'Status', then locate the option "Wireless Properties".
- A new window will open showing the properties of the wireless network we are connected to. Click on the «Security» tab. Here it will show "Network security key", as you can see the key is hidden, to show it just click on «Show characters».
- The connection password will appear, all you have to do is write it down and save it to enter it on any other computer.
Finally, if the network you are connecting to is personal, we recommend that you know the procedure to see the devices that are connected to your network with IP Scanner. This is often useful for protecting yourself from invaders on your network, which could slow it down.