The Windows operating system must make progressive changes for optimal performance. With Windows Update we can find news to ensure the security of the system. However, sometimes the tool crashes and then we wonder how to fix the error when Windows Update keeps checking for updates?
The following tutorial is intended for Windows Updates, but if you are looking to update drivers without programs in Windows 10, you can. Let's continue with the Windows updates.
How to fix the error when Windows Update keeps checking for updates?
Windows is a system that requires changes and improvements. For this reason there is one exceptional tool called Windows Update which allows us to install all necessary updates so that our team responds smoothly.
Next, we introduce you to the relevant information about Windows Update and everything you should do when the tool "it blocks" and does not continue its normal update process.
On the other hand, now that we will deal more thoroughly with the Windows update tool. It is recommended that you create a shortcut to Windows Update in Windows 10 to access it faster.
What is Windows Update?
Windows Update is an application that includes the Windows operating system to download and install its updates. They are found in the options "System e safety" which are housed in the "Control panel " and can be configured according to the user's needs.
Configuring Windows Update presents the user with four options: automatic installation recommended by the system, download for a later installation, check for updates, and no steps.
Types of updates
The Windows operating system offers two types of updates: updates import anti necessary to improve computer performance e recommended updates which are optional.
Why should you update the Windows OS?
Windows has many weaknesses, and for that reason, it has the security tool "Windows Update". This checks if the drivers, programs and components require updates. It also allows you to fix errors (bugs) in your system, take advantage of the improvements offered by Microsoft and greater protection against spyware and viruses.
Time required to download automatic updates
The download time depends on various factors such as the number of updates your computer needs, the dimension (in Mb) of each update and the speed of the Internet connection.
Updates are certainly very relevant, but as we have noticed, they carry considerable weight. That said, it's best to know how to free up space after installing Windows 10 Creators Update or any other major system update.
Check for updates
Checking for updates is a process by which Windows Update scans your computer to determine which applications, devices and drivers require an update.
The user has to manually check the updates if you have configured Windows Update for this purpose. Therefore, an error may occur and the search will not continue. In this case, you need to do the following.
Solution to error when Windows Update keeps checking for updates
Initially, you need to open the start menu and type the command cmd. Then, right click on “cmd.exe” and select the option “Run as administrator” (Windows command console will open). Once there, type net stop wuauerv and press the "Enter" key. Finally, restart your computer and see if the error can be corrected.
What should you do if Windows Update is still looking for updates?
If your computer is still looking for updates, we recommend that you perform another procedure to resolve the issue:
- Go to Windows services, which you can access via the Start search options, just type the word "Services" and click on the result.
- Stop the Windows Update service, to apply this configuration you just have to click on this service and click on "Properties". There go to Startup Type and select Disabled, then click Abort, now click "Apply" and then click "OK".
- After that you will need to delete some leftover files from old updates that may cause problems with updates in Windows 10 as well.
- Go to “C: WindowsSoftwareDistribution” and delete the contents of the “DataStore” and “Download” folders.
- Now you need to verify that certain applications and modules are activated correctly. Focus on the services we will mention below: Windows Install module (Manual), Windows Installer (Manual) and finally Windows Update (Automatic).
- Switch to the options specified above by clicking on "Properties" by changing the " Startup type ”And then click“ OK ”.
- We recommend that you restart your computer, after all this process, Windows Update should work fine.
Please be aware that there are several errors during updates. For that, we highly present another guide where we talk about how to fix Windows Update errors while updating in Windows 10.