Why am I getting update error 0x800f0986?
This usually happens when we try to perform a download, a cumulative patch update with the help of configurations in Windows 10. And instead of downloading the update, the program shows us a message of “Update error 0x800f0986”.
Once you understand why the 0x800f0986 update error, we will analyze below how to fix update errors in Windows 10.
Fix Update Error 0x800f0986 in Windows Update
Next, we will help you to correct this error which prevents you from putting in the necessary updates to keep your operating system running smoothly.
- Make sure the Windows update service is active:
- Select the Win key + R.
- In the "CMD" command window enter "Services.msc" and then choose "OK".
- A list of services will appear, from which you need to select “Windows Update” and double-click.
- A window will then appear " Windows Update Properties ".
- In the "General" tab, you need to select where it says "Startup Type" and then "Automatic".
- Then you have to choose where it says “Start” and wait for the analysis to take place.
- Finally, select "Apply" and then "OK" to close the tab.
- Enable the Windows Update Troubleshooter
- We will go to the search engine, which is located on the bar of our PC applications.
- We copy the following words "Solve activation problems"
- Then we select it and it will send us to a "Settings" window.
- In the left bar, we choose " Solve problem ”And then where it says“ Windows Update ”.
- We will get the “Run the problem solver” option and select it.
- A window will then appear that analyzes the problems present.
- And finally we select “Apply this review” and that's it.
Other steps to fix update error 0x800f0986 in Windows Update
To fix the Windows Update error when you do not update Windows 10; We have to follow the following steps, which we will indicate below.
- Clean the folder " Software distribution "
- Go to the “Windows Update Properties” tab.
- Select the “Stop updates” option.
- So choose " File Explorer ”On the taskbar.
- Once logged in, copy this path, C:> Windows> Software Distribution> Downloads.
- Press the "CTRL + A" keys to get all the contents of that file.
- Next, you need to press “Delete”.
- Then we will click on “Start” in the Windows Update properties tab.
- And finally, we will select "Resume".
- Roll back the Windows update
- In the Finder on the taskbar, enter "CMD".
- Where it says "Command Prompt", select "Run as administrator".
- Then in the window, enter these commands separately:
- "Stop net wuauerv."
- “Net stop cryptSvc”.
- “Network stop bits”.
- "Net stop mserver".
- Then, enter the following command, then select "Return".
- “Ren C: Software Distribution Windows Software Distribution.old”.
- So you will have to enter these commands, one by one:
- “Net boot wuauser”.
- “Net start cryptSvc”.
- “Network start bit”.
- "Network start msiserver."
- And finally, restart your computer.
- Disable third-party antivirus utilities:
You may receive the error 0x800f0986, from third party antivirus utilities, which blocks the necessary updates for Windows Update. For this reason, we may disable third-party antivirus software to fix Windows Update error 0x800f0986.
Let's restart Windows 10
As a last step, we will restart our Windows 10, to perform the changes we have made on our PC, following these steps:
- In the search engine we enter " Reset this computer "And select it.
- This will open a tab in the configuration that says "Recovery".
- We select "Start", then select "Save my files".
- Then press “Next” and “Restart”.
Ready, this way you will be in degree of fix the update error of Windows Update 0x800f0986 in a few steps and in a simple way.Tagsfinestre