Undoubtedly, to facilitate the work, it is strongly recommended to highlight certain places in our table. Clear is the example when comparing two lists in Excel and it is highlighted repeatedly, because the ease you get is undeniable. In turn, you should also learn a highlight the rows and columns.
What is the utility for highlighting rows and columns within Excel?
It might seem like this feature has no apparent utility, either way you'd be wrong if you thought so. The truth is that thanks to this action you get some advantages and even more so if you are a person who constantly works with Excel.
In any case, if you still doubt the benefits of this action, pay attention to the following benefits.
Quickly know where you are
One of the most notable benefits of highlighting the rows and columns is that you will always know where the cursor is. This is especially useful for people who constantly work with the Excel application.
It may sound silly, but the truth is that always being aware of it will save you time, in turn you will avoid confusion that may appear. A highlighted column or row simplify your work focusing completely on it.
Good highlighting and techniques such as quickly finding data in two or more Excel sheets will allow you to have a much more efficient Excel table.
Easily teach at the tables of your work team
Another very interesting advantage of this option is that it is particularly useful for presentations in the classroom or for your work team. This is because highlighting the rows and columns will make a table much easier to understand.
The above will allow you to accurately and adequately explain to your work or study colleagues how the development of a job or the accounts of a company is going. It is a way to communicate more easily all content in our documents or presentations.
On the other hand, if the above suits your needs, making a professional presentation with Prezi is something you should consider. Particularly useful in work and academic environments.
How to highlight selected row or column and active cell in Excel
Excel doesn't have a native mode for this cool option, however with a little ingenuity and patience you can enable it. Fortunately, Excel's customization options are very advanced, allowing for this and many other functions.
Highlight selected row or column and active cell in Excel
- The first step to consider is saving the document you will be working on as macro-enabled Excel workbook. To perform this procedure, try pressing the option Save with name and search for the file type for the above option.
- The previous step is very important, since we will do this procedure precisely through the use of macros.
- The next step is to go to the beginning, then locate Conditional Formatting and click on New Rule. click on Use a formula that determines which cells to apply formatting to.
- In the space to describe the rule, you need to apply the following formula = column () = cell ("column"). Now click on format. Here you can configure the cell highlighting as you see fit, in our case we will only change the fill to yellow.
- Once the customization is done, do click su OK.
- Repeat the above procedure for the row, in this case the formula is = row () = cell ("row"), also configure the format to your liking.
- Go to Conditional Formatting and Manage Rules, under Show formatting rules for: select This sheet.
- Where it says it applies to, change the information so that both rules (row and column) look like this: =$A:$AZ.
Apply the rule
- Press Alt + F11.
- Press on the sheet you are working on, commonly referred to as Sheet 1.
- Change the option from General to Worksheet. Also make sure the tab on the right is on SelectionChange.
- At the bottom enter the following code under Private Sub and on End Sub Application.ScreenUpdating = True I awarded Submit.
- Click Save.
At the end of the process, you can see both rows and columns highlighted with the color of your choice.
As we have pointed out before, highlighting a table is very useful to understand it more easily and also to share it with colleagues from study or work. That said, it is also possible to publish an interactive Excel file on a website, which will allow you to work remotely.TagsEccellere