Social media has captivated the lives of many teenagers, putting many in danger from unsecured surfing. Due to the danger they represent, in this article we will give you practical advice so that adolescents can improve safety on social networks and fully enjoy these tools.
Social Media Safety Tips
Although social networks are very practical for communication, they are also a double-edged sword, as there are many dangers in social networks that can be prevented. Here are some tips that can be helpful in improving safety while using:
- Protect personal data. Many people can access your personal content, even people you don't know. Among them, there may be those who intend to hurt you physically or emotionally. Configure security and privacy according to your needs.
- Evaluate the activities of the contacts. With contacts, which social networks call "Friends", they are the ones with whom we must be more careful, as errors or privacy problems can occur in social networks. The reason is that networks can increase the number of participants who see the content you post.
- Be careful what you post. After clicking on the «Publish» button, the information is sent to all your contacts. If you later regret the content, you will hardly be able to delete it from the contacts who received the information. For this reason, first analyze what you want to share. Don't send something you regret later.
- Use a password. It is one of the main tips we give you for your social networks. Prevent third parties from accessing your content without your consent by creating a secure but easy to remember password.
- THE hacking is the risk of impersonating your identity to logins or social network profiles. Do not give your login password to anyone.
- Avoid saving passwords. It is common for many to save it on their computer or mobile phone. This is a very dangerous practice, because a stranger can enter easily and without any hindrance.
Precautions when participating in social networks
- See who is added as a "Friend". Confirm that this person is known or that someone you trust gives you good references. If you're not sure who that person is, it's best to reject them.
- Avoid posting photo embarassing or compromising. Photographs of this type are more likely to fall into the wrong hands and be posted on an inappropriate website.
- Privacy. Do not disclose any type of information in which you expose private matters, such as: location, habits and travel.
- Think about what you will post on your social network. What you say or post will not be blown away, it will remain on your profile and everyone will be able to read or see what you have posted.
- Cyberbullying. One point to take into consideration, the most important in fact, is to recognize that i bullies often appear on social media disguised as "Friends". These bullies are not alone, they always have accomplices who act directly or indirectly in their favor and endanger your life. It is very important that you are familiar with the terms cyberbullying or cyberbullying and learn to prevent it so that you can defend yourself well.
- Be careful with the use of mobile GPS. Some users manage their devices via a GPS. While it is of great help, it also poses a danger in relation to social networks, since you offer information from your profile or multimedia content, which can be used improperly.
Other dangers found on social media
- Sixth. It focuses on posting photos for sexual or flirting purposes. These can be used by stalkers or people with bad intentions.
- To govern. These are actions taken by an adult who tries to arrange dates when he can abuse a minor or extort money from him.
- Phishing. It is the usurpation of personal data through a fictitious website with which they can be mixed in your social networks and access private information.
Furthermore, it is known that some links, although they may be posted by family or friends, can be accompanied by dangers such as a virus or hacker to access your social network. It happened on Facebook and WhatsApp.
Taking into account these opportune recommendations, everyone, especially teenagers, can use social networks without any danger.EtiquetasSocial networks