How to set Adobe PDF Reader as your default program
To perform this work, you have 3 different methods. They are all different roads but they reach the same destination. Before starting, it goes without saying that you need to have the Adobe Reader PDF program installed on your computer or laptop.
Method 1: using the menu of Windows 10 settings to choose a default application in according to the file type. To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to “Start” in Windows.
- Select the "Configuration" option.
- Click on the box "Applications".
- In the menu on the right, choose the “Default Applications” option. There you will see a summary of the most used applications, such as email, maps, music player, internet browser, among others.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Select the “Choose default applications by file type” option.
- Find the desired file type in the list on the right, in this case . Pdf. This list is organized alphabetically.
- Finally, choose the application that will open that type of file by default. In this case, Adobe Reader PDF.
Method 2: from the same file you want to open. To do this, perform the following steps:
- Right click on the .pdf file you want to open.
- Place the cursor on the "Open with" option.
- In the small pop-up window, check the “Choose another application” box.
- Choose the application Adobe PDF Reader. If it does not appear in the list, select the "Browse" option and look for the program in the "Program Files" folder. Even if you already have it installed, it should appear in the list.
- Check the box "Always use this application to open .pdf files".
Method 3: this alternative is also to start with the file you want to open. But to run it is you must have administrator permissions. Therefore, you must first log in with an administrator account in Windows or contact your administrator. Then follow these steps:
- Right click on the .pdf file you want to view.
- Select the "Properties" option from the menu that appears.
- The pop-up window is called “File Properties”. Click on «Change». If you are not an administrator, this option may not appear.
- Select Adobe PDF Reader from the list that appears in the pop-up window, in the “More options” section.
- Back in Properties, click "OK".
Regardless of the method used, you will eventually have learned how to configure Adobe PDF Reader as the default reader for .pdf files. Today, the vast majority of businesses and corporations encode their documents in PDF format.
Have you ever wondered why this happens? What are the advantages and disadvantages of using this format? Here are the pros and cons of compressing files in this format so commonly used today.
Advantages and disadvantages of the PDF format
- This format is very popular. Therefore, it is compatible with almost all operating systems currently used.
- It is easy to visualize.
- It takes up little space.
- You can configure several security options. In this way, the creators of a PDF file can prohibit third parties from printing or editing it.
- They can be easily authenticated.
- To be able to edit a file of this format you need a license provided by the developer, the Adobe team. Obviously it is paid.
- The process for modifying these file types it is more complex than other applications.
- Many of the texts in this format are interpreted as images. Therefore, it is a bit tricky to work on it.