In its latest version, Windows includes as a system application a program that many do not like to have installed. This is Groove Music. For this reason, in this article we will explain how to uninstall Groove Music from Windows 10. We will also tell you what can happen if you delete it.
But first we want to explain to you what exactly this program is and why it costs so much to get rid of it.
What is Groove Music?
Windows 10 introduced several cool apps and features, such as Cortana, the virtual assistant. However, the folks at Microsoft have also added some apps that very few currently fully use. One of them is Groove Music, which is pre-installed on this operating system.
It is a music player that tries to replace the traditional Windows Player. Among its various functions, there is the possibility to listen to your songs on various devices using the OneDrive folder.
While Microsoft has placed a lot of emphasis on Windows 10 users using this application, many of us simply choose to use other players we feel more familiar with or have more features with. Something similar happens when we try to make Cortana look for Chrome or Firefox instead of Microsoft Edge.
How to uninstall Groove Music from Windows 10
As we have already mentioned, Groove is a pre-installed application in Windows 10. Microsoft wants you to use its application; Here because he hid the process of eliminating it very well.
As with other system applications, if you try to find this app in the list of installed applications, you will see that you cannot uninstall it from there. So, to get rid of Groove Music once and for all, you need to do the following:
- Close the application and make sure no associated processes are running in the background.
- Open the Windows search bar and type "PowerShell". Press the right mouse button and select the “Run as administrator” option.
- In the text box, type this command: “Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers”. When you do this, the program will show you all the application packages that are installed on your system. Scroll through the interface until you find that call Microsoft.ZuneMusic.
- Double-click the “PackageFullName” section of this package. Then copy and paste the entire sequence that appears there. It should look like Microsoft.ZuneMusic_3.6.15131.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.
- In PowerShell type this command “remove-AppxPackage” followed by a space and paste the application name. Together it should look like: remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.ZuneMusic_3.6.15131.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.
- Press the "Enter" key.
The uninstall process is so fast that sometimes you don't even get a warning to let you know the process is complete. To verify its uninstallation, you can open the search box and type Groove Music. You will see a recommendation to install the app from the app store, but you will see that it is not installed on your computer.
It should be noted that you can use this same command to delete other applications from system you don't want to have on your computer. Just search the Internet for the package name and follow the same steps. If you find it too complicated, find out how to easily uninstall pre-installed applications in Windows 10.
What happens if you delete Groove Music from Windows 10
If you delete this application from your computer, absolutely nothing will happen to harm it or impair its operation. The only thing that will happen is that Groove Music won't appear in the list of apps installed on your computer.
From then on, you'll have a few more megabytes of storage space. If you want to play videos and songs instead, you can use the traditional Windows Player, which has always been there. Only he was overshadowed by this show.
Or you can just switch to the program that Microsoft is promoting instead of Groove Music: Spotify.
You can also download one of the best free music players for Windows from the Internet. After installing it, you just need to set it as your default or default program. Therefore, every time you play a video or a song, the application of your choice will be launched.